Out of Order
Passage: Mark 11:12–11:21
The Big Idea:
Jesus deals swiftly and harshly with those who fake discipleship.
- ICE BREAKER: What is your favorite vending machine snack?
- Jesus arrives to find the temple out of order. Share about the last time an element of your life (spiritual, relational, etc) was out of order. What happened to get that area back into order?
- Jesus assessed the health of the temple by how well the Jews were serving those of foreign nations. In what ways are you personally striving to be present among and/or aware of the nations?
- Jesus was quick to find the fraud among the Jews and deal swiftly with them. Are there certain areas of life where you are tempted to "fake it"? Share about your answer.
- Consider the magnitude of the temple and discuss why the portrait of Jesus overturning tables and shutting down the whole temple operation is an inaccurate image.