Demands of Discipleship
Passage: Mark 8:31–9:1
Gaining by losing defines the life of any who will wholly commit to following Jesus.
Monday: Mark 1-2
Tuesday: Mark 3-4
Wednesday: Mark 5-6
Thursday: Mark 7-8
Friday: Mark 9-10
Saturday: Mark 11-13
Sunday: Mark 14-16
- ICE BREAKER: What is your favorite action movie?
- As you think back on what we have covered in Mark's gospel, what have you appreciated the most about the book?
- Peter wrongly understood Jesus's role as Messiah, which led to skewed discipleship. Which, if any, misconceptions of Jesus have you had to overcome? How did that change your life and actions?
- After rebuking Peter, Jesus made it clear that following Him requires us to forsake self-centered living. How would you put this in your own words?
- Jesus would also call his followers to flee from world-chasing pleasures. What worldly pleasures did you feel pressed to leave behind when you began following Jesus?
- The demands of discipleship ought to be motivated by the assurance of things to come. How can we spur one another on to live in light of the heavenly reality that will one day be ours?
- Christmas has come and gone and many around us remain without hope. Do you have any unbelieving friends or individuals around you that the group could pray for today?