Hidden in Plain Sight
Passage: Mark 8:1–8:21
Dangers threaten those who take their eyes off of Jesus.
Monday: Mark 1-2
Tuesday: Mark 3-4
Wednesday: Mark 5-6
Thursday: Mark 7-8
Friday: Mark 9-10
Saturday: Mark 11-13
Sunday: Mark 14-16
- ICE BREAKER: What was your biggest takeaway from Sunday's Members' Meeting?
- There is a clear connection between the feeding of Mark 8 and the feeding of Mark 6. Discuss the similarities and differences between the two and what it reveals about the Kingdom of God.
- Jesus felt a deep sense of compassion for the needy, Gentile crowd. Can you share about a time you felt this type of deep reaction to something or someone?
- Read Mark 8:10-13. What is the difference between seeking a miracle and seeking a "sign from Heaven"? Why do you think the Pharisees would do this?
- Why is it that many people—Christian and non—continue to seek signs today? Do you think Christians should be doing this? Why or why not?
- Read Mark 8:14-21 and notice how the "leaven" has caused the disciples to become doubtful, divisive and deafened. Can you define the "leaven"? In your experience, which of these dangers have you succumbed to in the past? What can we do as fellow Christians to keep one another from these sinful missteps?
- Our city, our neighborhoods and maybe even our homes continue to seek a sign of assurance. Who is it that you hope to share the good news of the gospel with this week?