Is Church Membership Biblical?
Passage: 1 Timothy 3:14–3:16
From country clubs to fitness centers, our society is one full of contractual memberships. Upon Jesus establishing a new people, he created a covenantal body that is sealed by his blood; this body is the church. When postured to properly worship him and display the gospel in word and deed, local churches are enabled to shine brightly as a Compelling Community.
Monday: Acts 17:10-11
Tuesday: Matthew 16:13-19
Wednesday: Matthew 18:15-20
Thursday: Matthew 5:13-16
Friday: 1 Timothy 3:14-16
Saturday: 1 Corinthians 5:1-2
Sunday: Hebrews 3:12-13
- ICE BREAKER: Outside of a church, what organization(s) have you been a member of?
- As you read Acts 17:10-11, what do you think it means to "be like the Bereans"?
- Engage with this statement: "The case for church membership is nowhere argued for in the New Testament but everywhere assumed."
- What are the differences and similarities between the universal and local church? Why is it important to understand this?
- Why do you suppose Paul responded so aggressively in 1 Corinthians 5:1-2?
- If C@M's members pursued living out Hebrews 3:12-13, what might that look like?
- What does it mean that the church is the "pillar and buttress of the truth"? (1 Timothy 3:14-15) What expectation does that put on members of a church?
- Our 3 missionary families have willingly given up access to C@M. This has caused more heartache than we will likely ever know. As a group, will you take time and pray for them? Pray that God will meet their every need, and considering offering yourselves up as the method by which He might meet those needs.